Pablo Software Solutions Forum Index Pablo Software Solutions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WebServer - Start Button - Help needed please ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pablo Software Solutions Forum Index -> Quick 'n Easy Web Server
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagicBytes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: WebServer - Start Button - Help needed please ? Reply with quote

Hello, I just purchased 4 packages from PabloSoftware one being the Quick n Easy WebServer v3.3.3 which will not allow me to click on the Start Button. would any one know why please, the DEMO worked fine, but now my paid version won't let me start the server on port 80, only starts on port 1060 which I choose to port forward in my router when I was trying out the DEMO version, I have since deleted that port in my router and wish to try the default port 80, but will not allow me to start the server. Crying or Very sad

I am running Windows Vista ULTIMATE SP1 with all updates completed.

Cheers Very Happy
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the server won't start this means that another server is running on the same port.
Maybe you still have the demo version running in the background or another server?

You can use netstat or another tcpview utility to find out which application is (also) using port 80.
MagicBytes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:
If the server won't start this means that another server is running on the same port.
Maybe you still have the demo version running in the background or another server?

You can use netstat or another tcpview utility to find out which application is (also) using port 80.

Hello Site Admin, Thanks for your reply, I did a netstat as you sugested and I do NOT see any entries using port 80.

If I am not mistaken WebServer.exe is a stand alone excutable and does not require installation, so when a user closes this application down it is no longer running, please correct me if I am wrong and if I am how do I find where to kill it and I already checked task manager processes tab and I do NOT see it listed there, if I reboot my pc does this not kill the application also ?

I have rebooted many times since replying to this reponce.

Any further suggetions will be greatly appreciated, thanks Very Happy

Cheers MagicBytes
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In netstat you will not see port 80, but http.
If the server does not start on port 80, another application must be using this port!
Maybe you have IIS run as a service?
Maybe you've installed the service edition of QnEW Web Server?

Please download tcpview from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx to find out which process is using port 80/http.

If the demo worked than I can not think of any reason why the full version won't start, unless you have two applications allocating the same port.
MagicBytes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:
In netstat you will not see port 80, but http.
If the server does not start on port 80, another application must be using this port!
Maybe you have IIS run as a service?
Maybe you've installed the service edition of QnEW Web Server?

Please download tcpview from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx to find out which process is using port 80/http.

If the demo worked than I can not think of any reason why the full version won't start, unless you have two applications allocating the same port.

Hello Admin, thanks for helping me with this, I got the TCPView and ran it as per your instructions above, I took a snap shot of what TCPView found as shown below...

Please let me know what you find in this snap shot that could be causing the problem and how to rectify the problem

Cheers MagicBytes Very Happy
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there is clearly something running on port 80.
Is it possible you have a virus or spyware on your computer?
Did you chcxk if IIS is enabled?

To be honest I've never seen entries with IP address 0:0:0:0 in TCPView before Confused Yu might want to look into that. Unless the name of your computer is 0.0.0.0

Please kill any process which might have allocated port 80.
Grzegorz Wiktorowski

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:
To be honest I've never seen entries with IP address 0:0:0:0 in TCPView before Confused Yu might want to look into that. Unless the name of your computer is 0.0.0.0

Set Options -> Resolve Adresses to OFF and you see a bunch of 0.0.0.0.
MagicBytes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:
Well, there is clearly something running on port 80.
Is it possible you have a virus or spyware on your computer?
Did you chcxk if IIS is enabled?

Please kill any process which might have allocated port 80.

I ran Spyware Detector V2.0 and cleaned out any spyware and trojons it found, I ran my AVAST AntiVirus Cleaner, I checked in Windows Features and I don't see any IIS service installed on my system as you can see from the two snap shots shown below...

as for the ip address 0.0.0.0 I wanted to disclose my machine name from this forums prying eyes, so I clicked on "Resolve addresses" button on the tool bar of TCPView, so the ip address 0.0.0.0 = my machine name is conceiled.

I have tried to find what application is using port 80 and I am out of luck, thats why I came to this forum for help.

I am sorry to be a pain, but I have exhausted all my computer skills as to what the problem could be.

I am using NO-IP, could this be causing the problem ?

I did try a FREE program called "HFS~HTTP File Server" but this is a stand alone excutable no installation required prior to purchasing QuickWeb Server, when I shut down HFS it does not run in the back ground to my knowledge.

Cheers MagicBytes Smile
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I can not look inside your computer so it will be difficult to find out which process is using port 80. Only you can do that.
However I can ensure you that it's not a problem with the server.
A port can be opened by only one process, so if another process is listening on the same port (which TCPView indicates) than QnE Web Server will fail to allocate the port.
Since you did not manually start the process I think it might be a service and the most obvious one would be IIS (since that's a standard feature of Vista).

Your screenshots do not work so I could not verify this for you.

If you use
netstat -b -a
this should reveal the process name. If the process name is 'svchost.exe' then it's a service which you can stop in the Windows service manager.
MagicBytes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:
Unfortunately I can not look inside your computer so it will be difficult to find out which process is using port 80. Only you can do that.
However I can ensure you that it's not a problem with the server.
A port can be opened by only one process, so if another process is listening on the same port (which TCPView indicates) than QnE Web Server will fail to allocate the port.
Since you did not manually start the process I think it might be a service and the most obvious one would be IIS (since that's a standard feature of Vista).

Your screenshots do not work so I could not verify this for you.

If you use
netstat -b -a
this should reveal the process name. If the process name is 'svchost.exe' then it's a service which you can stop in the Windows service manager.

Hi, thanks for your support, I had a look in Task Manager and I do not see "svchost.exe" running in the processors tab and I am pretty sure that the IIS service has not been installed from with in Window Components - Programs and Features.

This is so baffling... Confused

I do realise QuicknEasy Web Server is not the problem, please don't get me wrong here, it is truely a great software application, thats why I purchased it along with 4 other packages at the same time, it really is QUICK and EASY well coded software products, after trying out other companies software Pablo products are the best and very user friendly, I love the way they laid out the interface nice and colorful and easy on the eyes, the end user couldnt ask for a better package, I do understand that some other program is running and using port 80, but which one I can not find it anywhere or how to look for it.

It would be nice if there was some kind of software that I could get my hands on that will expose the offending application then it would be an easy way to deal with this problem.

I downloaded a program called "Port Explorer" to find which app is using port 80 but it stopped my IE from surfing web pages, so I had to uninstall it to get my browser back so I can get help from this forum, I don't know of any other app's that could help me here.

If any knows of one could you please inform me here and I will give it a try thanks.

Once agian thanks very much for all the support you have given me in this baffling problem I am experiencing.

Cheers MagicBytes Smile
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try netstat -a -b?
Also with 'Windows defender' (a standard Vista tool) you can display all running software (Software Explorer)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pablo Software Solutions Forum Index -> Quick 'n Easy Web Server All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: