Pablo Software Solutions Forum Index Pablo Software Solutions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Download Problem with FTP Wanderer 3.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pablo Software Solutions Forum Index -> FTP Wanderer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Download Problem with FTP Wanderer 3.0 Reply with quote

There appears to be a problem downloading binary files such as .exe and .zip

The resulting file is corrupted, slightly larger than previously and is unusable.

Investigation using a Hex Editor indicates that '0A' characters are being replaced with '0D 0A'. I'm guessing this is some attempt to handle carriage returns, but it certainly shouldn't be applied on exes and zips

Changed my Transfer options to Transfer by ASCII and it works , but surely this is the wrong way round ?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no known problems with downloading files. It seems to work ok when I try it Confused
Note that FTP Wanderer uses the 'FTP engine' of IE, so you should have the same problem if downloading something with IE.
brucetp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can verify the exact same problem. It seems to work fine for just a few files at a time. It's most noticeable when you try to drag and drop multiple directories at once or a tree of folders. The binary files end up corrupted; the text files work fine. I've tried it on XP and Vista. Both with IE7 though. I really like the product. Keep up the good work!
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you please describe the exact steps how I can reproduce this behavior? We use FTP Wanderer daily and never have run into this problem before Confused
brucetp

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it's only happening with certain FTP servers.. I can make this happen fairly consistently by just dragging files from explorer to FTP Wanderer. My web host is M6.net. I know they are using the Microsoft ftp server. Confused
brucetp

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have found a way to reproduce it with a text file (without a standard extension like test.mytext).

This is what I've done
1. Drag a text file (at least 2k) from the desktop to ftp wanderer
2. Drag that same from from ftp wanderer to the desktop [say yes to overwriting]
3. Make a modification to the text file.
4. Drag the file to ftp wanderer again. [say yes to overwriting]
5. Drag the file from ftp wanderer to the desktop again.
6. At this point the file is corrupted. You can drag the file from ftpwanderer to the desktop over and over and the text file will be different every time.

If you can't get this to happen, let's try it using the same server I am. I've created a test ftp account on my ftp server you can use for testing if you want. Email me and I send you the information.

Thanks
Bruce
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should disable the resume feature in options.
Note that FTP Wanderer asks you if it should resume the tranfer or overwrite. If you select 'resume' then the data will be appended to the existing file!
brucetp

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I disabled it but it didn't change anything.

Also, I'm not trying to resume a transfer. I let each transfer complete before I go to the next step. It just asks me if I want to overwrite the file and then gives me a yes or no option.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you select the 'ascii transfer' mode for the text file?
brucetp

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was set to auto. And perhaps setting the transfer mode to ascii might work in this particular example. But, that wouldn't seem to help when I have selected multiple files to upload of both both text and binary. Like a web site for instance.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 'auto-mode' to work correctly you should add the file extensions that you want to be transferred as ascii in the options.
So if HTML files should be transeffered in ascii mode then you must add the html file type in the ascii options.
brucetp

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was the only example I could reproduce consistently. The corrupt files are usually binary files just as the original poster had said. (As well as i usually don't have to make those changes for other ftp programs) Anyway, it happens time and time again with my image files. Every time I drag 10 or 20 files over at least one or two are corrupt. I really like the interface of this program which is why I would like to help find a solution for this issue. I've tried it on both of my computers with the same result. Maybe someone else can find a way to show you the issue. Or if you have a way to turn on a debugging log maybe you'll see something there. If you or anyone else out there have any thoughts let me know. Unfortunately until then I'll have to use some thing else. Thanks for the help.
cameos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also saw this problem when downloading a XXX.exe file.

The server is a Debian Linux 4.0 running pureftpd 1.0.21. FTPWander is 3.0, I got corrupt XXX.exe when using 'binary' mode. I had to switch to 'Auto" to download it correctly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pablo Software Solutions Forum Index -> FTP Wanderer All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: