Pablo Software Solutions Forum Index Pablo Software Solutions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WININET.DLL Error Message

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pablo Software Solutions Forum Index -> FTP Wanderer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: WININET.DLL Error Message Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been using FTP Wanderer for a few weeks on 2 machines and getting on really well. Unfortunately my laptop has developed an error message:

"An exception occurred when attempting to create an FTP connection. Please check your internet configuration and make sure your environment is set up with WININET.DLL in the path."

This only happens when connecting to some of my FTP sites, while others connect fine. The same sites on my other machine work fine so any ideas what's happened to my laptop's settings?

Thanks,
Dan.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never heard about this error message before, so it's not a common error. Is your system up-to-date? Do you have the latest version of Internet Explorer?

Related topic:
http://www.pablosoftwaresolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22
DanH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: WININET.DLL error Reply with quote

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply.

Perhaps interestingly I have Internet Explorer 7 beta 2 installed on this problematic setup. Could that be the cause?

Otherwise, yes Windows XP SP2 has the relevant updates. Is there something specific I can check I may be missing?

Dan.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most common errors are cuased by overwritten system DLLs.
A fix/update can be found here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q259403

I did not test FTP Wanderer with IE7 Beta, so I'm not sure if that can cause any problems, but it wouldn't suprise me, since FTP Wanderer uses the WININET engine of IE.
DanH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that link. I downloaded the exe from Microsoft and extracted it to c:\Windows\System and now FTP Wanderer is fine connecting to any site I've had need to try.

Thanks very much,
Daniel.
sparrow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I had the same error. I downloaded that patch, but couldn't extract anyhing. So I had to use another FTP client. Today FTP Wanderer is working again. I have no idea why.

My system is Windows XP SP2.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pablo Software Solutions Forum Index -> FTP Wanderer All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: