Pablo Software Solutions Forum Index Pablo Software Solutions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Website won't display - "connection timed out"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pablo Software Solutions Forum Index -> Quick 'n Easy Web Server
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watershipwoo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Website won't display - "connection timed out" Reply with quote

Hello! I need a mini web server for one of my websites for one day only. I have to "demo" the website in a location where there is no Internet access, so I want to use an internal server. I have several server-side includes (html pages) that are called by shtml pages. I tried Microsoft's IIS7, but it seemed overkill and I could not get my site to display the includes, although the rest of the site did display. My site displays fine on the Internet and has for about five years. I uninstalled IIS7 so there would be no port conflicts.

When I learned about mini web servers, I thought that was the perfect answer, and I discovered BabyWeb and Quick 'n Easy Web Servers. I've downloaded, installed, and configured both. I must be doing something wrong, because I can't get my website to display through either server (I don't run both servers simultaneously). I have the port set at 80, the correct path on my hard drive to my website directory, and the correct default home page. I am using the correct IP address, but when I try to connect (even by clicking on the IP address URL displayed in the "What is my IP address?" dialog box), I get the error message that says, "The connection has timed out. The server at (my IP address) is taking too long to respond."

I do have Norton Internet Security 2010, and its Smart Firewall is active. I don't like to fiddle with the settings too much because I am unfamiliar with them, but I did set the program controls to "Allow" for both Baby Web and Quick n' Easy. Did not make a difference. I do also have a router (Linksys WRT54G) and think that may be where the problem is. I saw a post (I think in this forum) where the thread led me to some router configuration settings, but it all seemed so convoluted. Is this, indeed, where I must now go to reconfigure some settings? Or can anyone enlighten me to a simpler solution? TIA.

Last edited by watershipwoo on Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
watershipwoo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Website won't display - "connection timed out" Reply with quote

Okay, I just partially answered my own question! I read in an old post on this forum that I had to browse to 127.0.0.1 to display my website since I am behind a router. Now I've got the website to display, but my server-side includes are not displaying. Any thoughts on this?
watershipwoo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Website displaying; still can't show SSI's Reply with quote

After much reading and experimenting, I have been able to pretty much do what I want: I want to display two of my websites, using two separate instances of QnE Web Server, in a non-Internet environment (i.e., locally). Figured that out -- very cool!

However, I still can't determine if my SHTML pages can call my HTML server-side includes. I do not have ASP pages. I read an old post where SHTML was not yet supported by QnE Web Server. Is it now? If so, how do I get the SHTML pages to call my #include virtual includes that are saved as HTML pages? The includes are navigation menus and a few tables.

TIA for any advice.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Server side includes only work for ASP pages. SHTML pages are not parsed by the server and will be sent "AS IS" to the browser.
watershipwoo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang. Thanks for answering. Guess I'll have to find another solution. So near and yet so far . . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pablo Software Solutions Forum Index -> Quick 'n Easy Web Server All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: