Pablo Software Solutions Forum Index Pablo Software Solutions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Server Simply Will Not Start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pablo Software Solutions Forum Index -> Quick 'n Easy Web Server
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gerry5478

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Server Simply Will Not Start Reply with quote

Okay, I discovered I was not on the update mailing list. So I did that and got pointers to the latest files.

Downloaded them. Unzipped the files to two separate folders on my desktop and ran the webservice setup. Noticed the only option was uninstall. Uninstalled and then installed. Quickweb was not in \Program Files\Quick 'n Easy Web Service\. Put it there. Rebooted. Couldn't start the server - Message, "Web Server failed to start on port 80."

Checked the control panel to see whether the service was running. It was. Stopped and restarted it. Checked to see if the newest webcfg.cpl was in ....\System32. It was. Web server still won't start. Checked Help/About - 3.33.

Color me stupid. At 69 maybe I'm losing brain pieces, but I'm stumped. My web page and webcam have been down all day and I'm not a happy camper.

Gerry
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The message 'Web Server failed to start on port 80' means that you probably have another server running on the same port.
You can use Microsoft's netstat utitlity to find out which other application is using port 80.
You can run only one server on port 80.

Another probably can be that your firewall prevents the server from starting. Make sure (the new version) is also on the exclude list.
Gerry5478

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pablo, I have never been so befuddled by something so simple. Netstat shows nothing else on port 80. I've run spyware checks, virus tests and everything else I could get my hands on.

Finally, I reverted to 3.3.1 and somehow it came up. Then I rebooted and I was back in the same old pickle.

I tried to go back to step one. I had my unzipped files in \Program Files\Pablo Software, so I tried to delete the Pablo Software folder and it wouldn't let me (XP). Said a program was in use. So I deleted the folder in safe mode. I moved the two zip files I had downloaded (3.3.3) into a new folder, unzipped them there and ran setup. It said it couldn't move webcfg.cpl to System32. I copied it manually and the server came up. I configured my web folder and 3.3.3 is running. I am out of patience with it right now and it may be a week or so before I attempt to reboot my server again.

Till then......
Gerry
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Windows tells you that the software is in use I assume that it is still running. The service will run in the background, so you will have to stop and uninstall it first before you can remove it from your system.
If webcfg.cpl is in use then maybe you have your configuration panel opened?

Microsoft has a very useful set of tools to analyse these situations:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/default.mspx
bbater

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

Don't know if you resolved this issue, but I just downloaded QnE Web Server today and experienced the same problem. I checked everything as advised but still no joy. Using netstat -a -b, I also got port 80 being reported as 'Listening' - but, at the end of the line it said [Skype]. I shut down Skype and QnE Web Server worked fine.

Skype listens to ports 80 and 443 (I think) as backup ports by default. So that was the problem in my case.

Hope this helps someone....

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pablo Software Solutions Forum Index -> Quick 'n Easy Web Server All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: