Pablo Software Solutions Forum Index Pablo Software Solutions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why slower than...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pablo Software Solutions Forum Index -> Quick 'n Easy FTP Server
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adrie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Why slower than...? Reply with quote

Why is Quick 'n Easy FTP service much slower than Windows file (and printer) sharing?

When copying files from the server to the client Quick 'n Easy FTP service causes 100 % cpu load. When copying the same files from a shared folder on the server to the client, then cpu load on the server is much lower. This results in a speed that's about twice as high.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the FTP protocol the FTP client application determines the speed of the data transfer. The FTP client requests the data from the server, so the FTP client is the 'master'.
Adrie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case the server is a much slower system than the client.

The file transfer speed is clearly restricted by the 100 % cpu load of the server, of which at least 80 % is caused by Quick 'n Easy FTP Service.

When using file sharing the server isn't pushed to the max. The server's cpu load stays far below 100 %, even though the file transfer is twice as fast.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I see two possibilities:
1. Either the FTP protocol is less efficient than the NetBIOS protocol.
2. Or Quick 'n Easy FTP Service is less efficient than Micosoft's NetBIOS implementation.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but I did not invent the FTP protocol (it was invented in the 80's), so I can't make it faster than it is.
However when you turn off the diskspace and speed limitations it might improve the speed Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pablo Software Solutions Forum Index -> Quick 'n Easy FTP Server All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: