Pablo Software Solutions Forum Index Pablo Software Solutions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I change the remote folder to be a drive letter?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pablo Software Solutions Forum Index -> FTP Wanderer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wingnut

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Can I change the remote folder to be a drive letter? Reply with quote

I have installed FTP Wanderer and it looks to be a great little program. However, I am having a problem where the FTP server that I connect to has multiple drives. It doesn't appear to be possible to log into them.

In the 'Site Manager' window if I change the Remote Folder to 'D:\' (which I know exists because I can access it using another FTP Client) it brings up the message 'Please enter a Valid FTP URL'.

Is it not possible to change to drive letters using FTP Wanderer, or is this a bug?

Cheers.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is not such thing as drive letter in FTP.
What you are trying to do is impossible using the FTP protocol and therefore also not implemented in FTP Wanderer.
Wingnut

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply. It may not be an official part of the FTP protocol, but the network device that I am connecting to has multiple drives on the same FTP server. It's strange because you can change the drive letter from the DOS FTP prompt and from programs such as WS FTP and Cute FTP, so there must be some support for it.

It's a pity if it doesn't support it, it looked like I had found my perfect FTP client software Sad
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have confused other features of these FTP clients (like local browser mode) with what you are trying to do, but it can not be done with FTP.
How do you change drive letter using the DOS prompt FTP???
FTP is a UNIX protocol, which uses devices instead of drive letters.

What kind of FTP server do you connect to?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am connecting to a device called a DVIP (Digital Video over IP) using FTP, it is a CCTV unit which has several hard disks connected, so view files on each you have to connect to each one directly.

In the DOS FTP command, if you type cd d:\ it will change to the D drive. The DVIP is an embedded device using a real time operating system which isn't windows. It appears to use the standard UNIX commands.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but I've never seen this.
FTP Wanderer uses the standard network API (WININET) for FTP communications, so if this doesn't support what you want it's not possible with FTP Wanderer.

You can try Pablo Commander my other FTP client which uses it's own FTP engine:
http://www.pablosoftwaresolutions.com/html/pablo_commander.html
Wingnut

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I didn't realise Pablo Commander had an FTP function, it works fine if I specify the drive letter to be c: or d: in the Folder option in the Site Edit screen. So at least I have a workaround.

It's a pity that same functionality isn't in the FTP Wanderer software, that software is so easy to use! If that function could be added I would not hesitate to recommend our customers to use it.

Keep up the good work Smile

Wingnut
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FTP Wanderer exists for a few years now and the issues has never come up until now, so I guess it not a very common problem.

Maybe you can try:
http://www.deluxeftp.com/beta/professional
This product is also created by me (based on FTP Wanderer), but has a different FTP engine.
Is also has tons of another extra features.

Officially the copyrights are mine, so do not EVER pay money for this product. Still working out the legal details...
Wingnut

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, this doesn't support multiple drives either, I think I'll stick with Pablo Commander for the time being.

The reason I liked FTP Wanderer was its simplicity. I don't really need the extra features. Pablo Commander is pretty good though.
land_master

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I beleive drive support is an FTP server feature. Most FTP servers will map different drive letters to path /c:/ or /d:/ etc'.

This is something more basic than virtual paths, and most servers provide this by deafult (even if virtual paths aren't supported).

However, I don't think Quick'N'Easy FTP Server support this.

Regards,
LM
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where in the FTP protocol specification did you read this?
Drive letters aren't even a feature of UNIX on which the FTP protocol is based. But if you can point me to the official specification of this feature than I will be happy to implement it of course Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pablo Software Solutions Forum Index -> FTP Wanderer All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: