Not running after computer restart

Issues related to Quick 'n Easy Mail Server.
greenhouse

Not running after computer restart

Post by greenhouse » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:53 am

Sometimes my web computer will restart automaticly after updates are applied. Sometimes it will restart after a power failure.

Upon restart, the mail server is not running until I log on to the computer as a user. (This is true for the web server and ftp server as well.) Many hours may go by before I discover they are not running.

So, I installed them all as NT Services to correct some of this problem, but there are drawbacks. For example, the NT mail service has no statistics window or log window and no clear button for the log files. Also, there are no icons in the task bar or tray for these services windows to call them up or any diminish button for their windows. You have to close them to clear your desktop.

Can anyone suggest a better way?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:15 pm

For any application that has a GUI you will have to be logged for them to be executed. This is default Windows behavior. The services were especially designed to overcome this limitation. The (logical) side effect is that the GUI features are in this case limited, because a Windows service has no GUI.